[T3] New up date

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Tue Jan 1 08:42:11 PST 2013

Sounds like you're right about moving the dist drive shaft one tooth CW. I
have a large heavy duty snap ring pliers that I've always used in the slot
at the top, but there's also a special tool that expands in that central
hole to pull it out. Either will work. It's a slightly helical gear, so
you'll need to rotate it CCW slightly as it comes up. You don't usually have
to take the gear all the way out.
Just pull it up far enough that you can rotate it while feeling that tooth
and then wiggle it back down.

There are 12 teeth on that gear, so you will have to rotate it 30 deg to
make up 1 tooth. Take a good look at the position before you start and then
again once it's back down.

One more thing: DO NOT turn the engine over by any means until you get the
distributor reinstalled. If you MUST turn the crank with the dist out, turn
it BACKWARDS.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Bji-dJSoY

Nice video. The car's lookin' good and it helped to have your son doing the
shots. Now we know what YOU look like, too. ;-)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

That's great Jim. Just what we need to do this.  I failed to mention that's
once it is fully warm the there is hardly no black smoke now and when it is
warming up not as much.  Fairly sure it's from that timing being a little
slow.  I'm afraid I'm not much to look at LOL just a fat middle age white
man and would be happier behind the camera but my son has really gotten in
to photography and videography so that's why.  He tried a little to make it
look like those Jay Leno's garage video's but I'm not Jay Leno LOL.  Since
everybody has seen me I guess if go to the invasion I can see what everybody
looks and sounds like.

Dennis