[T3] Problem solved, but Why?

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 1 15:49:27 PST 2013

The sound wasn't tinny or metalic at all, as if fan housing was loose.  It was like pellets of gas were being delivered to the system, though quickly...not in a smooth flow. OR that one of many electronic sparks in a series wasn't sparking....or sparking adequately.    When I adjusted points and timing, did light "scrape" (with the gapping blade) of point contacts and rotor and dist cap contacts, and jiggled all the hose and wire connections....all became well.  It hums like a top now.

I'm trying to get a better idea about How To Diagnose a Symptom...to be able to know that if there's such a "flutter" (gas or electronic), I could go right to either A, B or C...in the dark even...and do something.  One person here thought the Too Close points were the problem.  I wonder if I did a test by narrowing the point gap would reproduce that bad "fluttering" effect.
Which reminds me to check to see if the cams on distributor post have a nice film of white grease to keep the bumper from wearing down.

Message: 12