[T3] New up date

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Jan 1 20:24:52 PST 2013

On 1 Jan 2013 at 17:53, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> I may have to go back later and take the front seats back apart and put
> some better stuffing in them.  I can already tell by no more than I
> have driven it that I will have back issues if I don't.  Right now they
> just have the original horse hair under them.

The OG stuff is glued together coir, the fibrous stuff under the
outer husk of a coconut. By now, most of that stuff is pretty broken
down, and whatever is left will probably disintegrate pretty quickly
once you start to drive that car.

You'll need to do something new in there, if only to keep the spring
wires from wearing thru your new seat covers. I always start with a
layer of really good carpet scrap, sewn around the outer wire rim
with the nap side down, then some cushioning from a upholestry shop.
I used to be able to buy some green fiber stuff that didn't look all
that different from the OG stuff, and then maybe a little foam rubber
over that.

One car I bought used and been completely redone with foam. The
spring wires had eaten all the way thru the foam so that the foam
ended up in rectangular chunks on the floor. Then the wires destroyed
the seat covers.

It pays to look around and consider a lot of options. Doing a decent
job takes time and effort, so you don't want it to end up wasted.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org