[T3] Lead Sled Update....

John Jaranson jaransont3 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 2 19:13:46 PST 2013

No new fabrication tonight, but I did do some noodling on my latest thoughts for the front airride suspension.  My goal is to keep as many of the stock Type 3 suspension parts as possible and to be able to use a shock absorber.  I would also like to keep the sway bar functionality of the upper trailing arms/torsion bar.

With this in mind, here is a drawing of my latest plan....

http://www.carartbyjohn.com/2013JaneBuild/Type3AirRide.jpg

It is a little bigger than I usually post, but it needs to be to be able to read it.

Basically this eliminates the lower torsion bars and replaces each with its own airbag.  The airbags would be mounted between a bracket attached to the beam (not shown) and the bag arm shown in yellow.  This arm is attached to the inside end of the trailing arm through a custom adapter insert.  The added thrust bearing acts on the bushing support already in the beam assembly shown in this picture...

http://www.carartbyjohn.com/2013JaneBuild/Type3AirRide2.jpg

You can see the end of the trailing arm just protruding through the larger hole in the support bracket in this picture.

I will probably weld the adapter insert along with using the shear pin just to make sure it doesn't move.

The drawing is not to scale.  Lots of measuring and stuff left to do before fabrication could begin.

What do you think?

On Jan 2, 2013, at 9:03 PM, Dave Pallo wrote:

> I'm always in awe of your work John, and this project is another sparkling
> example!

Thanks.

> 1.5 years to go before we all get to see it in person at the 2014
> Invasion...right?  ;-)

Yup...that is the goal.

Later,
John Jaranson