[T3] Lead Sled Update....

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jan 3 08:02:46 PST 2013

On 3 Jan 2013 at 0:52, John Jaranson wrote:

> On Jan 2, 2013, at 11:57 PM, Jim Adney wrote:

> > That puts some additional side force on the inner journals:force that
> > wasn't there before. You may need to beef up that bearing a bit.
>
> Good point.  I will look into making the thrust bearing also a
> rotational bearing and add a thick doubler to the support bracket.

I didn't word my concern well. Adding some thrust support is
important, but I was actually talking about radial force on that
inner bearing. (Should have said radial instead of side....)

Glad to hear that this is just a mock up. You'll want to radius the
corners of your opening: more of an oval than a rectangle. A doubler
border is a good addition.

How about making the adaptor much longer and duplicating the spline
w/setscrew groove, so that your adaptor reaches all the way to the
outer end of the torsion arm. That would be harder to make, but it
would be easier to secure and more certain of staying in place. It
would probably be easier than making castellations and matching
parts, and it puts the torque transfer in a stronger place. Downside:
it adds weight, although this is probably unimportant on a Type 3
front end.

How heavy is this Lead Sled going to be, compared to a stock Type 3?

Adding a pinch bolt to your airbag arm, so it would grip the adaptor
and prevent working back and forth, sounds like a good idea. Having
the pinch bolt nick the side of the adaptor square or hex, like the
ball joint pinch bolt, also keeps the adaptor from sliding out
sideways. Make the bolt clearance groove a bit oversize and you've
got a means to adjust the end play.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org