[T3] daily driver log 2012

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jan 3 21:14:23 PST 2013

On 3 Jan 2013 at 12:44, Chris Sheridan wrote:

> 5) Your ball joint tensioning bolts will probably have stripped threads
> when you take them off. You can buy exact replicas at
>     Bowline in Berkeley, if you bring in the old ones for comparison

Are you talking about replacments for the large ball joint nuts? If
so, this is good news. Those often need to be replaced and I didn't
know where to find new ones. Did they have the wavy washers, too?

> On the way home last night the gen light came on and stayed on. I got home
> and saw that my brushes were worn way down and I replaced them in short
> order and i'm back on the road today. How long do your generator brushes
> last? 7 months seems short. Do they wear faster if you drive faster?

High speed doesn't seem to matter much, but it matters if the
commutator is out of round. A local shop should be able to turn it
round for you. Once you get everything in good shape, the brushes
should last for years.

> 2) anyone have any tricks for keeping the wind from moving the side view
> mirrors?

There are different styles, but most have a sort of blind nut on the
bottom of that pivot. I would suggest taking that nut off and
removing ALL the parts inside. Clean everything off and then coat
liberally with grease, to prevent corrosion.

When you put it back together, tighten that nut just enough to keep
it from moving in the wind but not so much that you break something
when you try adjust the mirror.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org