[T3] 32 PDSIT Carb Oddity

Soren Jacobsen snj at pobox.com
Mon Jan 7 10:13:35 PST 2013

On Jan 5, 2013, at 9:18 PM, Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:

> On 5 Jan 2013 at 18:31, John Jaranson wrote:
>
>> Interesting that they didn't change the number on the carb itself.  I
>> see in the parts book that there are different letter suffixes for the
>> VW part number for the carb.
>
> They were all variations of the Solex PDSIT 32s, but with different
> VW part numbers. They probably had different designations in the
> Solex universe, too, but I have no idea how we would ever discover
> what those were.
>
> When they were new, each carb came with a little alum tag screwed
> under one of the float bowl screws. That tag had the full VW part #
> on it. That's the only way to be completely sure of what carb you're
> looking at.

Actually, there's an easier way, and one that still works after all these years of abuse at the hands of careless owners/mechanics: look on the outside of the fuel bowl.  There is a stamping there that indicates which version it is: http://blef.org/vw/t3/carbstamping.jpg

So my 1965 Variant has 26 and 27s, a 1966 should have 40 and 41, and 1967 should have 98 and 99.  There's more out there in terms of stamped numbers, but other than the 6V/12V versions, I've been unable to find out what the differences are.

Check out the following two pages from my factory service manual: http://blef.org/vw/t3/32pdsitchanges1.jpg http://blef.org/vw/t3/32pdsitchanges2.jpg

Since we're on the subject, if anyone has a pair of 26 and 27s, please send me a direct email.

Soren