[T3] Heat exchanger seals

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jan 9 13:17:50 PST 2013

On 9 Jan 2013 at 12:20, Phil Ostronic wrote:

> I am looking for the seals at the aft end of the large heat
> exchangers.  These are not the clamps to the muffler. They are the
> additional seals and clamps that are fitted over the sheet metal
> jackets to keep exhaust gasses from a leaky muffler connection from
> entering the heater airstream. I posted a WTB on the Samba to no
> avail. Anyone have a pair they can part with?

I'm not sure those were every sold other than as part of the heat
exchangers. If you're just trying to add replace that lost
functionality, you could buy some gasket material, cut it into
strips, and clamp it with a hose clamp.

If you're really trying to duplicate the OG look, you could probably
by steel strip and bend it to shape andadd a bolt, plus the gasket
material above.

I found that those clamps tend to hold water, thus promoting rust of
the HE jacket. The best functional solution is to get a good seal at
the muffler. I do this by wrapping the HE pipe with heavy alum foil
and/or thin alum sheet and then clamping the muffler seal on top of
that. It takes some fiddling but it works.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org