[T3] dash pad talk

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Jan 11 05:45:14 PST 2013

On 11 Jan 2013 at 16:58, Brent Bottolfson wrote:

> I registered my 69 in WA state.  By mail!  No inspection at all.

This varies from state to state, and it often depends on whether the
car was previously registered out of state or not.

> Anyway, two comments:
> I think the door post sticker is a later (maybe 70+) thing.  I did not
> have one on the original paint.

This is a sticker that's below the latch on the driver's side door
opening. I'm not sure when they started, and my '69 is in storage so
I can't check it right now.

> Also, I'm almost certain that I have the original dash too, without a
> tag.  It was a CA car it's whole life before I bought it.

This I'm pretty sure of: The dash VIN tags were required starting in
'69, but I suppose it's possible that some '69s got in before the
deadline. I always assumed that this started with the model year, but
I don't know that for sure.

The parts list is no help, as it calls out LHD and RHD, but not with
and without the holes for the tag. I suspect that replacements were
supplied with the holes not drilled, but with the all the underside
parts ready for the holes to be drilled.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org