[T3] More FI questions

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jan 20 10:29:10 PST 2013

On 19 Jan 2013 at 12:31, Max Welton wrote:

> --- On Sat, 1/19/13, Daniel K. Du Vall <dduvall at 1peter4-10.org> wrote:
>
> > I am assuming since these Injectors  been sitting that
> > I have that it's a high possibility they are dead.

Use the corner of your fingernail to try to push in the pintle in the
end of the injector. Good ones will move a barely perceptable amount,
maybe .005". Bad ones will be stuck. Stuck ones are probably rusted
beyone redemption. Sometimes the stuck ones can be broken free, but
the those almost always end up with awful spray patterns, due,
presumably, to rust or pits in the spray nozzle or pintle. Good ones
may still leak beyond saving.

> I'm wondering if there are places that will recondition those injectors. Maybe these guys?
>
> http://www.ravenworksllc.com/page.cfm/FUELINJECTOR.html

I have access to a similar, but even more extensive, tool at a local
shop. I've spend quite a bit of time sorting thru my "dead" injectors
to pick out the good ones. What I've decided is that ultrasonic
cleaning can remove gas residue, but it doesn't fix rusty injectors.
I've spent days working on batches of injectors and only seen slight
improvements. The shop owner tells me that injectors from certain
makes tend to respond well to cleaning, while others don't. He's not
familiar with our old stuff, but what I take away from all this is
that some styles of injectors are more likely to collect gunk and
respond to cleaning, some collect gunk but cleaning doesn't help, and
some just don't seem to collect gunk.

>From my experience, I'd say that we're in the lucky latter group. I
have never seen any benefit from routine cleaning of our injectors.
Our injectors seem to last forever, unless they've been taken out of
service and allowed to dry out and rust.

I have bunches of old used injectors stored now in kerosene, but I'm
afraid that most of them spent years drying out before I started
doing that. I'm afraid that the percentage that's salvagable now is
pretty small. I suspect that my odds would have been much better if I
had stored them all in kerosene from the day they were removed from
service.

As many of you probably realize by now, I HATE to give up on almost
anything and replace it with something new, but I've just about given
up on reclaiming used injectors that were taken out of service long
ago and stored dry for years. They almost never seem to recover.

Yes, I have new ones, but in more than 40 years, I've only replaced
about 8 injectors, and only about half of those were really "known"
to be bad. One was non-Bosch.

I also have almost any other FI part you might need, either used or
NOS.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org