[T3] Re/ Mystery Fix...

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sun Jan 27 13:45:06 PST 2013

In a message dated 1/27/2013 11:46:02 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
j_jonik at yahoo.com writes:

After doing that fuel system wire (#19) grounding on the  manifold, to run
pump longer, the car made a couple mile round trip for  plumbing stuff, then
the next day (temps still in the 20s), it started easily  and ran, sitting
there, for a good ten minutes.
But an hour later,  getting set to go out, it ran for about 3 minutes
(warming it up a little)  then cut out again.  Started it again...it ran for a
minute.  After  that, just the one or two seconds.
So...as per Bob's note below, it  looks like the pump is "getting tired".
So, I'll soak a couple of  dry-stored spares in diesel an get to the job of
HOPING one of them  works.
But, before doing that, is there any way to assure that it's  a pump
problem?...not one of the switches or something? (I have a bunch of  relay
switches.)   Clean filter was put in just a month or two  ago.
If I did that wire grounding trick a few times, would that FIX  the
problem, or just delay the inevitable?
A pump change job, on the  street, without a good jack even, is not fun...

You might try putting a volt meter or a small light bulb (with alligator
clips) on the output of the relay that's running the pump. This would  tell
you IF the voltage is dropping out, and stopping the pump, or voltage is
stable, and the pump is just stopping. While the stock relays are virtually
bullet proof, they can fail. This would also tell you IF it's a relay problem,
 or the pump getting ready to die.

Grounding out the #19 wire is really just delaying the inevitable,  and
eventually even it won't work. But you really need to find out IF it's the
relay, or the pump. I only say that, because it's easier to change either item
at home, rather than along side a road, or in a parking lot. Neither of
those  is fun. Also, by grounding the #19 wire, you are bypassing the relay (at
least  I believe that's what happens). One of the FI guru's will have to
verify  that.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction