[T3] MPG was Looking for data sheetsy

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Sun Jan 27 15:01:13 PST 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org
[mailto:type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org] On Behalf Of
Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2013 4:08 PM
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] MPG was Looking for data sheetsy

In a message dated 1/27/2013 4:33:13 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

Don't worry about actually using her once she's done. She'll do  fine, as
long as you can keep other cars away from her. You'll also need  to watch
over her carefully for the first few hundred/thousand miles, to catch the
little problems that are bound to pop up. They'll only stay little problems
as long as they are fixed quickly.

Yup, that first hundred or so miles is always the most nervous  that you'll
come across. That's because you don't have any real drive  time with it,
you're wondering IF everything is nice and tight like it's  supposed to be,
and you're just nervous as all heck driving it (and learning  all of the new
sounds it makes). Then you add in that it's just been painted,  and you're
worried some dumb bunny is going to scratch it, or dent it, or...  Well, you
know what I mean.

Before the 2012 Invasion, we took Wolfie (our 64 T-34) out on it's  maiden
run. That was 144 miles round trip. And other than the Bosch points slipping
off the arm piece (and getting a tow back to John's house to fix it),  it
was enjoyable. The car ran great (other than the points issue), and I just
needed to make a couple of small adjustments, before we drove it out to
Colorado (a month later). On the trip out to Colorado, the speedometer
decided to shear a steel shaft inside it, and I replaced 2 used starters on
the trip.  All very minor, other than being in a caravan, with everyone in a
hurry to hit  the road. :O It did mess up trying to keep track of fuel
mileage, as the  odo didn't move until after it got fixed Friday evening
(Thanks Jim :
)).  All in all a good shake down run, and a nice vacation. I think we rough
calculated that we averaged 25 mpg, but we weren't doing 55 either. ;-) In
fact I've got a pic just after we entered Kansas where we were doing 75 (the
posted speed limit).

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction

Yes for the first several hundred miles I will be sweating bullets.  At
least the town I live in is like the closest thing you can get to a 21th
century Mayberry so not a lot of crazy traffic here.  But when I take her on
a longer trip to a bigger city that's when I will be crazy LOL

Dennis