[T3] Re/ Mystery Fix...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jan 27 19:30:39 PST 2013

On 27 Jan 2013 at 21:40, Daniel Nohejl wrote:

> Hmmm....when we first started having the fuel pump/ECU issue there was a
> plastic plug with a grey wire and a blue wire with white stripes
> plugged into the relay. While trying to fix our issue, I pulled an
> accidental gorilla move and yanked one of the wires out of the plug.
> It neither solved nor exacerbated the problem though.
>
> Is there a way of fixing the plug/wire? It looks like it takes a
> standard size female connector. Of course once that's fixed, there are
> two more issues: repairing wire #19 which in our car is now taped off
> and disconnected from the FI harness and testing out another
> ECU.....though I do have an A unit I haven't tried yet.

Yes, it can and should be fixed, but this is probably best left until
warm weather. The old insulation just gets really brittle in the
cold, so working on it in the cold can lead to worse problems.

Look at the face of the plastic insulator. There is an "extra" space
next to each hole. You need to push something in there that will push
aside the locking tab and let the connector slip out the back.

Then you can either solder the wire to the old connector and snap it
back in place, or find a new LOCKING style female pin and connect the
wire to it. Whichever way you go, you need to make a GOOD new
connection. Squashing it with pliers won't do.

Then you can fix #19 and worry about why that doesn't work.

What year is your car? "A" brains are undesirable; they were
superceeded by the "B" brain. If you have a '68-9, then you need a B.
If yours is a later car, let me know what it is and I can tell you
which one you need. You really want the right one in there. Anything
else will sorta work, but only sorta. You don't want to play musical
chairs with them.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org