[T3] window seals

Brent Bottolfson brent at bottolfson.net
Tue Jan 29 23:51:18 PST 2013

On 1/29/13 11:16 PM, Jim Adney wrote:
> On 29 Jan 2013 at 19:31, Brent Bottolfson wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure about the side windows, but the windshield seals ISP sells
>> now are not WCM seals.  Big difference in the quality between them. I
>> took some side by side pics of them maybe a year ago and posted them on TS.
> Which do you think are better, and why?

I think the ISP version is better.  The corners are much more defined as
they are molded.  The rubber was nice and soft on the ISP ones, where
the WCM one just didn't feel as nice to the touch. Also, they're fatter
and heavier than the WCM version and have more pronounced sealing ribs
on the inside.

For Fastbacks, the rear window WCM was horrible, the lip on it would
never fit right on the body.  It was much smaller.

Here are a few side by side pictures I took of the two:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479379&start=20

I used the version with trim and had no issues fitting the trim in the
corners with these seals.

Prices are very comparable as well:  ISP: $45, EIS: $40.  I didn't see
it on the CIP1 site.

My two cents...

Bob - when did you install those WCM seals?  They were probably better
many years ago, but I can't tell you how many times I've read about
customers unhappy with the quality of WCM rubber.