[T3] Wire Question

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jan 31 16:04:38 PST 2013

On 31 Jan 2013 at 23:57, Daniel K. Du Vall wrote:

> This is of some relays under the back seat drivers side:
> http://volkswageninsanity.us/Postings/FI/IMG_1622.JPG
> One is the heated rear window and the other must be part of the old FI both had one wire sniped in the engine compartment.

The other one is the FI main power relay. That sent TWO hot wires
back to the FI brain when the key was turned on. I believe they used
2 wires so that one would carry the large injector currents and the
other would power the low power stuff in the brain.

> Here is a shot of the regulator that is in the car not sure where the brown D- would have been as its not like the Bentley diagram.
> http://volkswageninsanity.us/Postings/FI/IMG_1625.JPG

Look under the screw holding the large red/white stripe wire. There's
another screw going into the base of the VR. That's where the brown
wire should have gone, but at the factory, they just stuffed it under
one of the VR mounting screws. The separate screw is better, because
it isn't affected by the rust in the body.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org