[T3] Lead Sled Update....

John Jaranson jaransont3 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 1 20:24:59 PST 2013

One of my New Year's resolutions is to make steady weekly progress on the Sled.  No more taking months or weeks off from doing anything on her. To get the right start on that plan, I spent several hours today on the garage with the propane heater blasting....

Completed a somewhat significant step....I finished the fabrication/modification to the dash and structure to let me mount the steering column. I can now steer the front wheels with the steering wheel from inside the car. :dancing::dancing:

Here are some links to pictures....if anyone is interested.

Started out finishing the edges of the cut-out for the steering column...
http://www.carartbyjohn.com/2013JaneBuild/SledSteeringColumn01.jpg

http://www.carartbyjohn.com/2013JaneBuild/SledSteeringColumn03.jpg

Added a brace to stiffen the dash.... Works great, BTW.
http://www.carartbyjohn.com/2013JaneBuild/SledSteeringColumn02.jpg

Then I bolted in the steering column and tightened down the clamp nut at the steering box after setting the spacing to the dash...
http://www.carartbyjohn.com/2013JaneBuild/SledSteeringColumn04.jpg

Plenty of clearance to the blinker lever...
http://www.carartbyjohn.com/2013JaneBuild/SledSteeringColumn05.jpg

Plenty of hand clearance...
http://www.carartbyjohn.com/2013JaneBuild/SledSteeringColumn06.jpg

http://www.carartbyjohn.com/2013JaneBuild/SledSteeringColumn07.jpg

View from the bottom.  Used the stock front mount for the column and a modified rear mount...
http://www.carartbyjohn.com/2013JaneBuild/SledSteeringColumn08.jpg

Plenty of room to turn the key...
http://www.carartbyjohn.com/2013JaneBuild/SledSteeringColumn09.jpg

Should have good vision of the gages...
http://www.carartbyjohn.com/2013JaneBuild/SledSteeringColumn10.jpg

I also got the rear end of the car up on tall jack stands in order to have better access to start the final fitting and attachment of the rear fenders....the final major piece in this puzzle. :dancing:

Later,
John Jaranson
www.carartbyjohn.com