[T3] daily driver log 2012

Chris Sheridan cscsheridan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 12:44:58 PST 2013

All in All it was a good year for my commuting car thanks to this list.
>From January through April I had my daily 50 mile commute which proceeded
pretty smoothly. I remember having some battery troubles in January but was
only out of commission for a couple of days where I had to rent a car.  On
April 30th I ended my job in favor of a new job with a shorter commute (20
miles) and took a week between jobs to renew the front end of my Fastback.
That turned into a 2 week project for a few reasons and I learned some
stuff.

1) Ball Joints don't always just pop right off.
2) Start early if you work in the street and need to have the wheels back
on by dark
3) Tie Rod ends are unique and you may think you bought the correct one but
you won't know until it's all apart in the street
4) The Steering doughnut for a fastback is not the same as the one sold on
Ebay, they have a different diameter
5) Your ball joint tensioning bolts will probably have stripped threads
when you take them off. You can buy exact replicas at
    Bowline in Berkeley, if you bring in the old ones for comparison
6) You will need to come back in and retighten everything a couple days
after you're done.
7) I bought an alternator and planned to convert per the online
instructions published by a listmember here, but ran out of time and was
stuck on the 'fabricate metal strips to fashion a saddle for the new
alternator' so I stuck with the stock generator for now.

now of course you can always learn more..so here are the questions I have
today

On the way home last night the gen light came on and stayed on. I got home
and saw that my brushes were worn way down and I replaced them in short
order and i'm back on the road today. How long do your generator brushes
last? 7 months seems short. Do they wear faster if you drive faster?

2) anyone have any tricks for keeping the wind from moving the side view
mirrors?

thanks,
chris