[T3] Goin' to hell in a handcart!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jan 5 21:18:45 PST 2013

On 31 Dec 2012 at 14:57, Jim Adney wrote:

> We've had a few weeks of electronics nightmare in our house. It's
> like everything decided to break at the same time.

Well, instead of getting better, it just got worse.

This noon, Melissa and I were out running errands in the 2011 Diesel
Jetta when, over the course of ~10 seconds, the engine lost power to
the point that it could no longer move the car; then it died.
Restarted easily but was still weak and died again. Restarted weakly
again and died right away. Waited 1.5 hours for a tow to the dealer,
but when the tow driver tried to start it, it started up and ran
normally. It was actually a bit warmer today, so I don't think the
cold (25 F) was the problem.

I'll put our scan tool on it tomorrow and take it to the dealer on
monday. Meanwhile, I'm leary of taking it anywhere....

Then, Melissa's desktop motherboard suffered the same fate as mine
did ~3 weeks ago. Dell GX270, same make, model, and age as mine.
That's really well planned obsolescense, creepy.

This is written on one of our 2 laptops. Hope those hang in there
long enough for me to build replacement desktops.

And, BTW, ATT DSL service remains spotty. Hope I can get tonight's
Type 3 email responded to before it conks out again.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org