[T3] FI & Fuel Tank

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 08:23:16 PST 2013

> -Fuel tank de-rusted with POR 15 set => folks, it REALLY worked great,
> if you made all the work before right, for example chain and rough
> rocks in the tank and shake and shake for days............inside is
> now silver coated, just great, maybe I show some pictures from the
> inside in February.

I've never used POR 15, so I hope it's not thick enough to plug up
the very small passage in that tank that you need for things to work
correctly. If they're now plugged, you'll run out of gas once you get
down to about 1/2 tank.

I HAVE used POR-15 ... but only for the rust-prone areas on out motor
home (Ala; Battery compartment, utility bay where moisture is always
present, etc.)
5 years ago,

I removed all 4 batteries ( two 12-volt chassis & two 6-volt [in
series]).  The compartment is a steel box as opposed to the other
compartments which are "plastic".  The steel box floor and walls had
corroded/rusted about 5 inches up from floor.  With the box empty it
was a 5-step process:
1)  wire brushing the loose rust,
2)  treating the area with a liquid marine cleaner,
3)  neutralizing the cleaned areas,
4)  (washing with water and letting it dry) this is an extra step
5)  painting the affected areas with POR-15,
6)  top coating the areas with a good-quality enamel paint.

5 years later the compartment looks good as new.

POR-15 is a pretty thin consistency.  Spreads evenly with minimal
amount of material or effort.  A 1/2 pint can goes a lo-o-ong way.
But once opened, it's difficult to keep from "curing out" in the can.
You almost have to used all of it or dispose (environmental issues) of
the excess.

It's tough stuff.  But I'm not sure of it's use in fuel tanks.  I'd
have to look at the cans that I have.

Gary "Frito" - '69 Variant, FI, MT
Rockport, TX (winter)
Lake Geneva, WI (summer)