[T3] Toby's engine...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Jan 1 06:53:18 PST 2013

On 31 Dec 2012 at 17:44, Brian Fye wrote:

> Alright...  Spun crank bearing!  The one that is closest to the flywheel...
> the oiling hole is ovaled out with spurs/barbs/deformation.
> The other bearings all look great, so I will pull off the spun (seized to
> the crank) and see how badly the crank was scored.

Oiling hole or dowel pin hole?

What was going on with the #3 P/C?

Seems odd that an engine would last 25k and then suddenly have a
problem with oiling at one bearing. I wonder if the end play was too
tight?

If you can get that bearing off without further damage to the crank,
you may be able to just polish it, but if it's blued from overheating
it will have lost any surface hardening that it once had.

Even if you have to replace the crank, that's not so bad if nothing
else got damaged. Still, the case will have to be align bored.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org