[T3] Wiring Harness Needed (was RE: Faulty Fuel Pump)

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Thu Jan 3 13:22:41 PST 2013

In a message dated 1/3/2013 2:03:28 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jaransont3 at comcast.net writes:

This is  simply NOT true.  Although there are small trailers with emergency
only  tethered electric brakes, any reasonably large trailer like a two
axle U-Haul  car hauler will have fully proportional electric brakes.  These
brakes do  need the proper wiring and brake control in your car. New F-150s
with trailer  towing packages come standard with the electric brake controller
built  in.  Aftermarket ones are readily available.

The link  Adriel posted was a somewhat Rube Goldberg mechanical version for
flat towing  a vehicle, but it might work.

I would be hesitant to flat tow a 2000 lb  Type 3 through the mountains
with an older 3500-4000 lb car without some  trailer braking.

The big thing would be whether or not U-Haul would even rent you a  trailer
for your tow car. :O They're very fussy about what pulls their  stuff. BTDT
while trying to rent a tow dolly once. They wouldn't do it, as they  felt
the tow vehicle wasn't heavy enough or powerful enough to pull it with the
car that needed pulling. This can be a problem IF you're stuck in the middle
of  no-where USA. Just something to keep in mind.

I've tow dollied before with my V6 S-10 before, and I'll tell you  that you
really need to think ahead when using one, as they (tow  dollies) don't
normally come with brakes.

Bob 65 Notch  S w/Sunroof and IRS aka Krusty
64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71 Square-vert  under construction