[T3] 72 FI

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Sat Jan 19 09:19:54 PST 2013

On 19 Jan 2013 at 7:48, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> The TPS on modern cars dose tell the computer a percentage of how far
> the throttle is open.  For example most modern cars with automatic
> trans needs this info to compare with vehicle speed and other things
> to know when to change gears and lock the torque converter among other
> things so it must know an exact percentage of that.  I thought the
> 72-3 done this. Why do they need 5 pens just to know idle and WOT
> position. My son's 88 golf's digifant II TPS just dose idle and WOT but is
a lot different than the one on our FB.

There's no variable resistor in our TPSs.  For your '72 with 5 pins:

One pin is common

One pin indicates idle position

One pin indicates WOT

Two pins give alternating pulses as the throttle is opening, but not as it
closes.

It's a pretty simple system.
Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

OH ok I guess I was trying to make it harder than it was.  Makes since to
me. The whole adjustment procedures makes more since now.  I had it in my
head that it worked like one on a modern car because the injectors pulsed
with its movement. But I guess it wouldn't need to know the exact % of how
far the throttle is open to do that. Thanks Jim!

Dennis