[T3] Wire Question

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Wed Jan 30 15:19:11 PST 2013

Sounds like it could be the remains of the diagnostic socket wiring.  There
were wires to tell the diagnostic device various info on the engine.  The
remote starter turned the engine over while monitoring the battery voltage
changes to give a cylinder compression readout. They also reported on
battery voltages at rest and charging, and dwell angle and points condition,
too, and other parameters. There was also a front axle alignment readout,
measured optically with a mirror and light beams as the steering was turned.
It wasn't used for very long, and of course now is superceded by
sophisticated sensors that register every hiccup.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club