[T3] Beauty Rings

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue Jul 2 03:35:49 PDT 2013

My '71 had black backs to the wheels, and the black centres with slight
silver overspray.  Obviously the factory painted them black then the outside
visible rim was painted aluminium.

However my '72 appeared to have had silver all over, and didn't have
evidence of the black at all.  I suspect that the factory may have changed
their process from mid '71, but obviously it's hard to be definite.  I think
it unlikely that anyone would have cleaned off the wheel back if they had
repainted the outer part, as they hadn't rusted away much even after 20
years.

I think Adriel is correct on that one, at least that some wheels were just
painted silver, with no black.

The centre part of the wheel also appears to have changed around then from a
rolled edge on the centre hole to an angled flange, maybe to make it a bit
easier to centre the wheel when replacing it.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club