[T3] Early Front Brake Cylinders?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jul 11 06:42:51 PDT 2013

Soren, thanks for the info. I wonder why the microfilm doesn't
mention the earliest version. At least this clears up my question
about the differences between versions 3 & 4.

You posted the same link for versions 2 & 3. Just to be sure, could
you post the correct link for version 3 please.

Can you explain why VW made version 4? It appears that the brake
shoes were the same, and if the narrow slots of version 3 caused a
problem, why wouldn't version 4 superceed version 3?

I bought a tube of the Brake Cylinder Paste from VW many years ago.
It came with the cap cracked so it could not be sealed and the
contents were "spoiled." Russ confirmed that they tended to do this,
even in a shop where it would get used up rather quickly. Is your
experience similar?

I suspect the paste consists of finely divided zinc powder suspended
in a liquid. On exposure to air, the zinc would turn to zinc oxide,
which is white, and that's the color of what's in my tube. I should
check to see what kind of liquid this is. I have no idea if it would
be compatable with Silicone Brake Fluid.

Where do you buy yours?

BTW, I did a bit of a search and found that ATe says their paste is
NOT compatable with DoT-5 Silicone Brake Fluid. I just use a thick
silicone fluid for coating my brake parts when assembling them. It's
what Dow-Corning recommended and it has worked well for me for many
years.

thanks,

Jim

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org