[T3] Brake Pedal Sticking (update)

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Jul 30 20:57:52 PDT 2013

On 30 Jul 2013 at 16:18, J. Jonik wrote:

> Since the last message, I put on the "new" rotor. None of the old Piston Retainer Plates (incl. some of my old spares) wanted to clip into position.
> I put in a different caliper that I knew had two movable pistons AND two valves that actually opened. Turned out that one of the pistons could not be pressed all the way in, just most of the way, so I had to use a thinner, less-than-new (but not bad) brake pad on one side.  It's all together.
>  BUT...bleeding resulted in just drips, no squirt, from the upper valve, and no juice at all from lower. And, the brake pedal cannot be pushed all the way to the floor even with both valves open.
>   Is this Proof Positive that the Master Cylinder is messed up?

It doesn't sound like an MC problem at all. It sounds like a hose
problem or a caliper problem. If the other side works, then it's
definitely NOT the MC.

BTW, the different caliper with 2 bleed valves (of the same external
size as your previous caliper) probably has 40 mm (Type 1 dia)
pistons while the other side now has 42 mm (Type 3 dia) pistons. Even
if everything was working this would cause the car to pull toward the
42 mm side when you brake. That's dangerous.

The retaining plates won't fit because they're made for the Type 3
caliper.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org