[T3] Early Front Brake Cylinders?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jul 8 12:34:53 PDT 2013

I've never had a Type 3 early enough to have front drum brakes, so
I'm not familiar with the different versions that were used on the
'61-65 cars. The microfilm shows 3 versions. Version 2 & 3 look alike
and use the same illustration; version 1 looks completely different.

I have some of those version 2 or 3 cylinders here that people have
sent me, and they all look alike except for one little detail: The
slot in the piston, for the brake shoe, is ~4mm wide in some and ~6mm
wide in others. From looking at the parts lists, only the pistons and
adjusters seem to be different. (VW did not sell the body castings
separately, so there might be some minor difference that I haven't
noticed.) All are 22.2 mm (7/8") dia. I don't have most of the
adjusters, so I can't check the slot widths in them, but I assume
they were the same 2 widths.

Can anyone tell me if this is the difference and, if so, which one is
the earlier version?

And, BTW, if you have brake parts that you think might be useful
someday. Please don't just set them aside to rebuild later, when you
need them. Brake parts left sitting with brake fluid in them will
rust badly in storage and become much less likely to be rebuildable.
Rebuild them NOW, then store them dry.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org