[T3] Beauty Rings

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jul 1 19:31:50 PDT 2013

On 1 Jul 2013 at 19:53, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> Jim, do you have the anodizing source names?

No

> >I probably have a few of these somewhere. They would just be Monets
> >(as in, they look good from a distance, but not close up) but that's
> >all you need for a car.
>
> What?  Are you referring to Oscar-Claude Monet ... as in the
> impressionist painter?
> Having been trained as an artist, art teacher, commercial artist, I
> happen to think Monet's paintings look great up close, as well as at a
> distance.

The term "Monet" became used a few years ago as slang to describe
someone who looked good from a distance, but who lost his appeal upon
closer inspection. As you know, Monet was a "pointillist" (sp?) so
that his work gave the right impression from a distance, but when
viewed closely it became clear that the images were made of tiny
colored dots. It's a facinating technique, but I suspect you'd agree
that it's not made for viewing under a magnifing glass.

> So after the aluminium is anodized, the anodized surface can be polished?

You have to polish it first, then anodize. The anodizing is clear and
hard, so there's nothing you can do to it afterwards. Colored
anodizing is done by adding dye to the anodizing solution so that dye
particles get trapped in the alum oxide matrix.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org