[T3] 72 MS EFI project

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Jul 5 16:45:01 PDT 2013

On 5 Jul 2013 at 14:58, Daniel K. Du Vall wrote:

> OK finally getting down to the last few steps. Of the MS EFI project on my 72SB.
> Here are a few more pictures.
>
> http://volkswageninsanity.us/Postings/FI/IMG_20130705_070242.jpg
>
> http://volkswageninsanity.us/Postings/FI/IMG_20130705_070302.jpg
>
> http://volkswageninsanity.us/Postings/FI/IMG_20130705_070357.jpg

The things that strikes me are the hose clamps on the hoses between
the IAD and the intake air runners. Those are not necessary if you do
things right, and they are counterproductive because those joints
need to be able to slide as the engine expands and contracts with
temp changes.

Those 3 parts should be installed with all their bolts loose and only
tightened when it's assured that all the parts are aligned. If any of
the intake pipes won't align, you can actually bend them and align
them. I like to do this with the 4 hoses actually slid back on the
runners, then slide them forward onto the IAD once the alignment is
correct.

It's common for the IAD to be bolted in place and then everything
else forced to try to conform to it, but if you'll leave the IAD
loose until the end you'll have much better luck in both the short
and long run.

This doesn't work well if the hoses have been distorted by a previous
installation. If you're trying to work with badly warped hoses, you
can usually get them to seal without hose clamps, if you try
adjusting as above, AND rotating the hoses to get the offsets in the
right orientation.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org