[T3] Brake Pedal Pushrod?

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sat Jul 13 06:11:47 PDT 2013

In a message dated 7/13/2013 5:55:14 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk writes:

I guess you would want the brake and clutch pedal in the same  plane, so I'm
not sure the brake pedal can be set up closer to the  bulkhead, and if you
do
that with the clutch pedal, you lose some of the  throw, which might not
give
full movement on the clutch mechanism.  I  may be forgetting the situation,
not having worked on that area for years,  but doesn't the stop plate work
on
the clutch pedal, rather than the  brake?

I wouldn't use the shorter brake push-rod on a dual  circuit system - I
think
you wouldn't get the second system working if the  other failed.

That's my thought too Dave. VW went with the longer rod for a  reason, and
I suspect that it was to make sure both circuits had enough stroke  from the
pushrod. It probably also takes in the distance of the pedal  traveled, as
to why you need 8 7/8ths inches (Bentley) from the top  of the pedal to the
bulkhead to make sure either of the circuits will  function in case of a
failure.

The stop plate sets the brake pedal and the clutch pedal, keeping  them
both in the same plane. You can't set 1 without setting the other. About  the
only way to move the clutch pedal out of that plane is to tighten the  cable
adjustment more, but then you take away free play.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction