[T3] Can Voltage Regulators be Fixed?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jun 9 13:56:26 PDT 2013

On 8 Jun 2013 at 14:43, J. Jonik wrote:

> Otherwise, what makes VRs go bad?    No two in my collection got the
> same volt-ohm readings back when I was going thorough problems.   They
> look temptingly basic, sturdy, and easy to do...something...with.

In my opinion, the wire-wound resistor on the underside goes open,
then one of the sets of points wears very quickly and usually starts
to weld and stick. You could consider replacing the resistor, but
I've never found a truly suitable sub; it takes a LOT of wattage.

To check that resistor, you have to insulate one of the sets of
points first, otherwise you'll just get zero. The resistor is ~4 Ohms
when new, but 3-5 Ohms should be fine. The problem arises when it
goes to infinity.

I've tried, but never succeeded in making one of these good again.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org