[T3] Car Cures Itself (II)

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jun 26 20:33:19 PDT 2013

On 26 Jun 2013 at 17:58, J. Jonik wrote:

>  1) How  to reply properly at this list?  Do we have to copy and paste into whole new email?

No, just select reply and make sure the list address comes up. Then
delete the parts of the message you don't need to include in your
reply, and write your response. Click send.

Details will vary depending on what software you're using (both on
your computer and on the server.)

> 2) Car doesn't ever threaten to stall. Idle seems fine...except that
> if I raise it, the flickering oil light, of course, goes away.  But
> then idle seems too high.  Will switch with any of my collection of
> Oil Pressure Sensors.   No cure for some leakage from those things,
> eh?

If the idle always seems fine, that would seem to point to a clogged
fuel filter. They often allow plenty of fuel for idle, but not enough
for driving, when more fuel is needed. Could also be a pump problem,
but that's much less likely with these symptoms.

Use a tuneup tach to make sure you're in the right idle range. If you
do this long enough your ear will get trained.

If they leak, throw them out. Fortunately, they are cheap.

> 3) When I was 30+ years old, I felt just fine.  I will never live to
> see how my car works when it's MY age.   Hmmm...like dog years vs.
> human years...what's the Car Age of a 71 VW?   107?  203?

Dog years! Car years? We'll have to think about that one.  ;-)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org