[T3] Beauty Rings

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jun 30 19:51:40 PDT 2013

On 30 Jun 2013 at 17:53, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> 1)  And what's the #1 purpose on anodizing in the (OE) first place?
> 2)  Corrosion resistance?

Yes

> 3)  And do both sides of our Beauty Rings get anodized?

Yes, because it's an electrolytic dip process. It's hard to dip just
one side. There are places who do anodizing in Milwaukee and also
Green Bay. I don't think there are any in Madison. I don't know if
there are problems with re-anodizing.

I probably have a few of these somewhere. They would just be Monets
(as in, they look good from a distance, but not close up) but that's
all you need for a car.

VW had different part numbers for trim rings for beetles and for type
3s. The real VW ones have the # stamped near the inner edge. But they
had at least 2 different versions, probably from different vendors
and probably supplied in parallel at the same time. So just getting
another original one from another '69 Type 3 does not guarantee
getting a match.

The major difference I can remember is whether they had the grey
rubber grommet around the valve stem hole or not. Some did, some
didn't. Both were OE.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org