[T3] Can Voltage Regulators be Fixed?

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 8 14:43:25 PDT 2013

 Re/ Squareback 71 FI....
Voltage regulators come apart easily with one thin bolt.  Lid off exposes two coil things with four points involved.  Top "points" may not be "points" but just springs. Don't know.   Points on sides open and close.

The regulator, marked "No Good" (on account of bad volt-ohm reading once), that I opened looked like it needed a good cleaning.  No dust, bugs, or dirt...but grayed-out metal.   What about doing a cleaning?...along with brightening up those points?

Otherwise, what makes VRs go bad?    No two in my collection got the same volt-ohm readings back when I was going thorough problems.   They look temptingly basic, sturdy, and easy to do...something...with.

Being so easy to open, it almost seems that VW intended them for User Maintenance...in car, at that ...(after disconnecting battery, of course).