[T3] Car Cures Itself

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 25 14:29:25 PDT 2013

[Ooops...sent before to the "requests" address, the wrong one.]

Re; 71 FI Std shift....

  Earlier I asked about why the car "cures itself" from stumbling...stuttering...seeming like maybe only on 3 cylinders, AFTER going about three miles, or after about five minutes.     At that point, it's hard to look for a problem that's no longer a problem.

  On advice, checked that distributor drive was doing it's thing to spring into position.  It did.  Made sure all wires were duly tight, double-checked timing and point gap, and even cleaned up the spark plugs.    All was ok then, for a short while.

But the symptoms are back.  This time I got one Little Backfire.  Sometimes on starting, there's a some exhaust smoke.   Also...I THINK...not sure...that the oil level is a bit high...but I can't verify how flat the street was to have gotten a good reading.  If really high, instead of a bit down, there MAY be, again, a problem with fuel
getting into the oil.  How to assure that's not happening?

  And, after about ten miles, the oil light flickers a little, and glows.  Idle seems at proper speed.  No hints that the car wants to stall....and after the stumbling stuff goes away (as if it just got a cleared out something), the car performs perfectly...except for that oil light flicker.

Something's sending warning signals that all is not well.