[T3] Crate's on the road~!

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Thu Jun 6 17:10:39 PDT 2013

Got the rebuilt engine in, still 1500 but with flat top pistons.  No
mechanical issues, no oil leaks, pulls pretty good at the lower end but you
remember it's a 1500 on the highway.

Still has a miss, its over the whole range. Sometimes better than other but
most of the time its there.  I THINK its ignition, its not the coil or
wires, but I have a new set of points and condenser coming as maybe its
that, not much else that I haven't checked.  The carbs seem different than
the notches with the high idle cam, it sets properly but if you hit the
throttle at all after its started you lose the high idle, whereas the Notch
you need to have the choke come off much farther before you can kick it
down, the vacuum pull offs seem to work on the crate but they lift the choke
off enough to kill the high idle as soon as I back it out and touch that
throttle.  It also backfires into the muffler on decal. did these cars do
that or is that part of my missing problem?

Pulled to the left badly on braking so I pulled the right wheel and found it
greased up in there, perhaps a grease blob fell off the axle when I put the
drum on the first time and that contaminated it.  I cleaned it all off and
now the car pulls to the RIGHT somewhat on braking.  I pulled the left wheel
and its nice and dry and clean in there, not sure why the braking isn't more
even but its a lot better now.

The tranny works well but still leaks around the collars of the axle boots,
not sure why. the boots are new and tightened properly, no cracks..  The
shifter is rubbery as all heck though, I much prefer the late ones for feel.

Pretty happy, the Federal tires seem to handle nicely as does the car, I
backed the nut off and cottered it on the LR wheel with the frozen drum,
after 100mi that drum is STILL frozen on there!  Now sure how Im gonna get
if off but maybe I can get it up on 2 wheels around the traffic circle
tomorrow..  I get nervous with the old swing axles!

Im going to try and bring it to Litchfield next weekend if it doesn't rain,
which it usually does the 2nd and 3rd weekends in June.  I don't want to
drive the Notch that far till I get the Hot Sauce out of the crankcase, that
Brad Penn is pretty bad stuff, 20F higher than Normal temps over the whole
operating range, even on the cold mornings it was running hotter than it
normally would.

Keith

Top Notch Restorations
topnotch at nycap.rr.com