[T3] 1970 Fastback front torsion issue!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Mar 3 15:35:43 PST 2013

On 3 Mar 2013 at 13:03, jaredkohler at gmail.com wrote:

> Then perhaps I have too much play. I'm probably at .020 to .025 although,
> not sure what else I can tighten to clean that up. I'm sure my beam needs a
> complete rebuild.

Maybe you're looking at the wrong thing.

With the wheels on the ground, get a friend to grab the top of a
front tire while you lay on the ground and look at the gap with the
flashlight. While she pushes/pulls on the top of the tire, watch the
movement in the gap.

You could even try a feeler gauge in there while she pulls.

If it's too much, loosen the right clamp bolt. tighten the right
axial bolt a quarter turn, and retighten the right clamp bolt. Then
check the play again.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org