[T3] Lean Cruise

Max Welton max_welton_2k at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 9 22:07:00 PST 2013

--- On Sat, 3/9/13, Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:
> It sounds like fun, and just a bit tempting....

Oh, it's all of that. :-)

> The link above seems to say that the second barometer is
> useful
> because it can take into account the difference in exhaust
> backpressure. IIRC, they say that this would be especially
> important
> if you're turbocharged. Are you?

Nope.

My basic setup is covered here:

http://www.maxwelton2k.net/squareback68/MST3/

> I assume you're firing in 2 banks. Can you use the D-jet
> trigger
> points to trigger the MS? I find myself wishing that the
> trigger
> point cam advanced with the mech ignition advance. Do you
> think that
> would have been useful?

I haven't worked with the ignition control part of MS yet. But I think you can trigger it off anything stable, even the stock points if you were to lock the normal distributor advance. Then you can program in any sort of initial offset and curve you want into the ECU. I think someone has even made a trigger-wheel for use on the type-3 fan, but I can't find the link right now. At any rate, given a trigger method, megasquirt can then drive a variety of ignition systems.

Max Welton
http://www.maxwelton2k.net/