[T3] '73 FI harness

Daniel Nohejl danielnohejl at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 04:00:46 PDT 2013

The rubber boot I mentioned in my message was definitely NOS from a trusted source. Maybe the cracks I've found though were already there but much smaller and NYC weather has hastened their expansion? In terms of rubber, I thought part of the rationale behind folks not buying NOS master/wheel cylinder rebuild kits was that the rubber doesn't always behave well over time. But truth be told, I only have 3 years of NOS parts experience to pull from, so really most of what I "know" is what I've read.

ISPWest is reproducing the air cleaner boot and has molded the part # in. It's visible in several pictures in the link below. I guess for copyright reasons they left off the VW logo:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1330353

In fairness to old harnesses, when I had wires break on my "gently used" harness (West Coast origin), it was in winter which is obviously not the finest time to be handling old wires, but the overall deterioration in condition was rapid. I installed it in July during a NY heatwave and it was nice and supple. When I removed it from the car in January, some parts of the sheathing had become so hard that I cut myself on them during removal! Maybe I only got a temporary benefit from soaking in lacquer thinner but either way, the journey from supple to brittle only took 7 months in my case.

Dan.