[T3] over-the-top mufflers

David Yaghoubian goob at roadrunner.com
Wed Mar 20 22:54:12 PDT 2013

>What prep have you found that works for you? Would this work with other
mufflers?

I used three coats of the Por-15 Factory Manifold Gray High Temp. on both
the header and muffler and there still isn't a single crack or peel. The
relatively thick viscosity (and/or fast drying) made my haphazard brush
strokes visible... and permanent, so while it did an amazing job of
protecting the entire OTT exhaust system, perfectionists might want to find
a way to spray it on.

I remember putting on a "Thunderbird" single system sometime in the late 80s
and returning home after the first drive to see a big hole burned in the
stock muffler paint. I covered that with BBQ paint. Six months later I was
dragging a rusty booger in and out of driveways once again. Ahh, the good
old days of trial and error, and trial, and error, and..... in most cases
realizing that I shoulda left it stock, of course. This OTT system (stock
with the Por-15 paint) is a rare exception in my experience. Hopefully the
ceramic newbie will function exactly the same but just look purdier. :)

Cheers,

Dave Y.
68 sqbk