[T3] temp gauge

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Mar 22 07:52:50 PDT 2013

On 22 Mar 2013 at 0:03, David Yaghoubian wrote:

> It is a basic VDO setup, which definitely does the trick. Here is the
> sender:
>
> http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VDO-323-064
>
> I had this style for ~15 years:
>
> http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VDO-310-012
>
> I've had this style for the past ~5 years:
>
> http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VDO-310-709
>
> I also run a VDO oil pressure gauge:
>
> http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VDO-350-702

Gene Berg has a bit of a rant about how poorly calibrated the temp
sensors were. Since he couldn't find any brand that was reliably
accurate, he refused to sell any. That's a responsible position to
take, but perhaps a bit extreme. Even if they aren't accurate, they
should still be able to tell you if something has changed.

I've never had a temp gauge, and never missed it. I've always found
the sound of the engine, coupled with the situation we were in, was
able to tell me how it was doing.

I DID have an oil pressure gauge for awhile, but in the long run that
just seemed to cause me unnecessary worry, since it always read lower
than I thought it should. The engine, however, never minded.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org