[T3] Tire size?

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Fri Mar 22 16:58:31 PDT 2013

In a message dated 3/22/2013 7:15:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

On 22 Mar 2013 at 15:14, jaredkohler at gmail.com wrote:

>  What tire size is the most practical for a daily driver? Or best for  our
> Type 3 in general? I'm hoping to buy a new set in the coming  weeks. I
hope
> to narrow my search by hearing what everyone on the list  has to say!
>
> Side note: When we purchased our fastback it was  already running
195/60/15.
> (Bridgestone Turanza) To me, this tire size  seems a bit small. Perhaps a
> slightly taller tire would be better?

The stock size is 165SR15. That's an 80 profile. A 185/70SR15 would
have just about the same rolling radius. The 195/60/15 is just a bit
shorter.

The stock size is really best for daily use, but that size  is getting
hard to find.

A bigger question is what rims are currently on it? I'm only asking, as
that can either limit tire choices, or open them up. If you have stock rims,
you're limited to tire choices that fit a 4.5 inch wide rim (not many). If
for  example, you have 8 spokes, then your options open up, unless you're
lowered  (the 8 spokes have the wrong offset for our cars), then things get
really  tricky. If you're at stock height, and don't mind it, you can run a
205-65-15  (in the rear), that fills the wheel well, has a nice tread width and
is  pretty close to stock size. But like Jim said, the 185-70 is probably a
nice  compromise, but very limited in supply.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction