[T3] Tire size?

Max Welton max_welton_2k at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 25 15:58:44 PDT 2013

--- On Mon, 3/25/13, Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:

> > My snow tires are 195x65 Blizzaks on stock wheels.
> Comparing my GPS
> > and odometer (both only read to the nearest while
> mile), the odo reads
> > ~1.0096 * GPS over the last few months of log-data.
>
> Sounds like the rolling circumference is about as close as
> you could
> get, but 195s really are too wide for 4.5" width wheels. Do
> you
> understand why this is so?

Of course. All the experts tell me I'm going to kill myself. The 205s are even worse. I'm not about to get into it again with anyone. ;-)

But the 205s are almost exactly the same circumference as 165x80s. If only I could account for increase in unsprung weight.

I'm actually hunting around for a company that can "band" a set of stock steel wheels for me so I can get the same tire position with a wider bead-to-bead distance.

Max Welton
http://www.maxwelton2k.net/