[T3] Tire size?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Mar 27 06:50:56 PDT 2013

On 27 Mar 2013 at 0:00, Mike Fisher wrote:

> I have ET41 stamped rims on my parts cars here in Oregon.

Okay, I double checked, and my memory was faulty on this. The correct
offset for Type 3 wheels is 46 mm. (Why didn't anyone else catch me
on this?) Some Ghias, and all Type 4s, used this same wheel.

41 mm offset wheels were used on 74 Super Beetles. All other Beetles
used wheels with even less offset.

This information can be found in the Brakes & Wheels chapters of the
various Bentley manuals.

If you can't read the number off the center disk, there is another
way to identify Type 3 wheels. With a 16-20" straightedge, lay the
edge against the center disk rim that the hubcap snaps around. Slide
the straightedge outwards until one end touches the wheel rim. If it
touches in the outer lip where the wheel weights would go, that's a
Type 3 wheel. If it touches farther in, it's one of the Beetle
wheels.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org