[T3] Grapevine

David Yaghoubian goob at roadrunner.com
Thu Mar 21 20:46:54 PDT 2013

All I would add to what Jesse said is that outside of the gas stop at the
foot of the hill bearing the name, everyone's "Grapevine" is probably
different. It is totally subjective of course, but I consider everything
between Gorman and the I-5/99 junction (the truck and passenger traffic
split for those heading south) the Grapevine. Heading north, Gorman is just
before you hit the down grade (and enter into one of SoCal's most notorious
speed traps as you skirt Tajon Ranch) which finally pans out at the I-5/99
split.  Heading south in the summer, this is where weak cooling systems
and/or head gaskets on mid-80s Japanese cars go to die, and in winter where
you can get enjoy unscheduled ~6 hour car camping experiences in the snow.
As for the grade, the signs say 6%, but it fluctuates quite a bit.

The last time I did that southbound grade in my square was summer 2003 when
we moved to Socal, and it was the last nail in the coffin of my 15-year old
GEX rebuild (yes, they actually made one or two good ones :). The temp gauge
tapped out at 300, and all I could make was ~20-25 mph in second gear. I had
fully laden semis passing me and giving me stink eye. Oh the humanity!
Probably the lowest moment (er, half hour) of my squareback custodianship.

Dave Y.
68 Square