[T3] Setting the Valves

Robert Rogers rcrogers1 at peoplepc.com
Thu May 2 17:07:23 PDT 2013

Look, let’s not make this more complicated than necessary. Here are my humble recommendations:

1.Turn the engine (pulley) counter-clockwise until the number 1 (right front) cylinder valves are closed. You can verify they are closed by removing the valve cover, and shaking both valve rocker arms (intake and exhaust). They should be loose and make a “clicking” sound. The distributor rotor should now be in the correct position so that the wire to the number 1 cylinder will be just about to send an impulse from the coil to fire the number 1 cylinder.

2.Turn the pulley counter-clockwise 90 degrees and check that the valves on cylinder number 2 (right rear) are both closed.

3.Turn the pulley counter-clockwise 90 degrees and check that the valves on cylinder number 3 (left front) are both closed.

4.Turn the pulley counter-clockwise 90 degrees and check that the valves on cylinder number 4 (left rear) are both closed.

NOTE
If the distributor is installed correctly, the above procedure will ensure the engine starts and runs. If you need to set the valves, I recommend using the go-no go- method: Select a feeler .006 gage and insert it between the rocker arm and push rod.  Use a .008 feeler gage and attempt to insert it. If the .006 feeler gage will slide between the rocker arm and the push rod and the .008 gage will not slide in, then the clearance in correct.
You may want to mark the pully with chalk or paint so that you can determine when the pulley has been turned 90 degrees from TDC.