[T3] No oil pressure

David Sanderson djsanderson at telus.net
Sat May 11 19:28:25 PDT 2013

Greetings All

Thank you all for your supportive comments and suggestions. Today, I put the engine back on the engine stand and double checked everything. It was a comment, made by Brian I think, to examine the oil control and oil relief valves. I was able to get the relief valve out without a problem and everything looked fine. However the oil control valve seemed stuck. After much fiddling around I grabbed a flashlite to look in the hole to see why it was stuck and I saw a hole in the valve itself. As soon as I saw that I knew what I had done. There was a mantra that I was told when I started on these type 3s that suggests never throw out T3 parts and so in my collection of control valves there was one with a hole it the top. I selected it based on the profile but didn't notice the hole - a hole that I had drilled to get it out of a previous motor. So I put another in (one without a hole) and lo and behold oil pressure - lots of it.

I feel so dumb but on the flip side I am pleased to have found the problem. I think that the motor will be in tomorrow and running - yahoo!!!

Again, thank you everyone for your supportive comments. I guess the lesson learned is to double check everything everytime. I"ve learned a new lesson - not bad for an old retired guy.

Dave