[T3] End of school year

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Sat May 25 07:24:34 PDT 2013

Thursday was our last day for the students as they are now out for the
summer.  I am disappointed the body shop has still not got the doors and
quarter panels done. The instructor who is NOT a VW guy much less a type 3
guy says the quarts are so thin and flimsy that they are hard to work with.
The left one needs more work and body filler than we first thought as it is
2 quarters made into one.  The filler cracks after they apply it because the
quarter flexes as they work it.  To solve this they had to put it on the car
and do the prep work with them on the car.  But still even with these
problems it seems like a long time since they have had these 4 panels since
the first part of November.  They are pretty much ready to paint but now no
students. I wished now I had just tried to of found a better quarter.   Kind
of bummed out about this but out of my hands.  Meanwhile my guys and I have
been working on the engine and electrical. We finally got a new turn signal
switch put in it as the old one would work if you held it in a certain spot.
I was quite shocked (but pleasantly) when I seen the box it came in said
made in Germany.  I was expecting more China made stuff.  The engine is
running better as we got the timing set right on 5 degrees now or that third
mark according to the Bentley.  However it is still running rich especially
before the engine gets to operating temperature.  If I crank it I must let
it run till it gets completely warmed up or the next time I try to crank it
some of the plugs will be fouled.  As everybody knows I have double checked
the fuel pressure and the voltage when running is around the 14.1 to 14.3
range.  Other than this the engine runs like a top.  The only theory I have
is the one Jim gave me a few months ago. He said to make sure my gage is
right.  I thought at first of course it is right I have checked other cars
with this gage here recently and no issue.  But then I got to thinking those
were all modern cars where the fuel pressure runs anywhere between 36 and 50
psi.  Maybe the gage loses accuracy at the lower setting like our cars
requires who knows. I think I will find another one to borrow and check
again.  Sorry for the long message.

Dennis Stiefel

72 Fastback FI MT