[T3] Dump Day

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Sun May 5 08:27:48 PDT 2013

I got the Squareback all filled up to go to the transfer station, I had to
bring everything yesterday, the recyclables, motor oil, the 95% of my mail
that is Junk, and I guess the Car's battery decided that it wanted to be
left there too as it took a Dump when I tried to start it.

Now with all my T3's, when the battery voltage gets low enough the starter
will engage and crank a bit but will NOT disengage unless the battery is
disconnected.  So it sat there, cranking very slowly but with one dead cell
the system voltage wasn't high enough to run the FI and start the car.  This
initiated a certain kind of fire drill and after about 2 minutes of removing
trash from the car (still cranking slowly) I was able to get to the battery
(which was hissing good at this point) and disconnect it.

The good thing is that it did have enough battery to keep the starter motor
moving so it didn't damage it but this is a rather dangerous situation, I
don't know how many batteries would explode back in the day or how many
starter motors were ruined when the batteries went dead but has anyone got
any ideas for a solution to this issue?
Some way of monitoring battery voltage and disconnecting it if it gets too
low?  That would save the mechanical clocks too.  Many times (like this
coming week) I have so much heavy stuff in the car that I simply wouldn't be
able to get to the battery and cringe at what would happen If I just had to
leave it till the battery went dead (and with 5 good cells. that could be a
while)

BTW, whoever it was that said they are cheapening up batteries appears to be
right on target, this Interstate only lasted 6 years and IVe never had less
than 9 from any of them, in fact.. The one from the Golf is in there now
till I get a new one and its 12 years old!

Anyone know of a "knife switch" kind of thing on the market that would serve
as an autodisconnect in such situations??

Keith

\

Top Notch Restorations
topnotch at nycap.rr.com