[T3] Brake Hose Bracket, etc.

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Fri Nov 1 17:31:35 PDT 2013

Keith has samples of sections cut from old and new brake hoses, which show
how narrow the bore can become.  When I took the hoses off my '72 Fastback
in about 2004, I could hardly blow air through the old hose, since the hole
had narrowed so much.  Although they still functioned, it would only have
been a matter of time before needing replacement.  It may be much rarer to
get a break-down of the internal layers, but it happens often enough to
assume that they may all do it eventually.

Since the pressure forcing the fluid into the calipers is much greater than
that pushing it back when the pedal is released, it will always tend to end
up with residual pressure in the calipers, and cause the pads to drag and
wear out prematurely.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club